For foreign students who are starting university in South Korea, there are a lot of accounts you will need to create. To create such accounts, you’ll need to fill out several documents. This post will take you through the process of setting up accounts for Hallym University.
Setting up a Bank Account
For a Bank account (Hallym University uses Woori Bank) you will need…
- Certificate of enrollment = Registration certificate (재학증명서)
- If no certificate of enrollment, a scholarship certificate and standard admission letter is usually fine. You can ask the graduate admin office for it.
- Passport (여권)
- Residency confirmation (거주확인서)
- The house contract with your name (if you live in the dormitory, you can get it from school) or alien registration card (the card lists your residence address)
However, to get an alien registration card, you need a certificate of enrollment. That means you need to pay school tuition fee first. After, you get a student ID, and can print out the certificate.
It is bit strange but this is how it works.
Alien Registration Number
For the alien registration number, you need…
- Passport (여권)
- Photocopy of passport (여권 사본)
- Passport photo (여권용 사진)
- Certificate of enrollment (재학증명서)
- 30,000 won in cash to apply - Note: Chuncheon Immigration does NOT have an ATM close to the building. Bring extra cash just in case.
- Application for Integration (통합신청서), (you can download from the Website https://www.hikorea.go.kr/)
And if you live off campus,
- Accomodation offer confirmation (거주숙소제공확인서), (also available from the website)
- Front and back copy of the ID card for the person that has the house contract (if the house contract is in your friend’s name)
Things to note
- You need to make a book one day before you go to the immigration.
- You must apply in person within 90 days after entering Korea.
- Foreigners can only register with a certificate of enrollment or proof of tuition payment.
- If you change address, you must register the new address with immigration within two weeks. If after two weeks, you can get a fine and your visa may be revoked. Address change application can be done for free online.